- How do I join the Library?
Strathmore University Library mainly serves the Strathmore community i.e. Students, Staff and Alumni.
- Can I borrow items using another patron’s Identity Card?
It is prohibited to use other patron's document(s) to borrow Library items.
- How do I know the status of books I have borrowed and the date for returning?
There are two ways to know the status of loaned books. Option 1: Login to your library account from the library catalogue homepage through the University network of computer terminals, or anywhere through the university website. Once logged in using your credentials (username and Password), you will see a listing of all the items in your custody including their details. For details on how to renew, read the next section. Option2: Please contact the Library help desk for assistance.
- How do I borrow/renew my books?
Borrowing and Renewing Items
to borrow, take the item (book, DVD, CD etc.) to the circulation desk. The item will be issued to you upon presenting a student’s ID.
To renew items online, login to your library account using your credentials (username and password). A listing of all items in your custody will appear including details of when they are due. Click on renew to renew the item/s
Renewals will not be accepted if:
The item is overdue and accruing fines
the item is on hold for someone else,
a recall has been made on that particular item or,
you have reached the maximum renewing limit (twice).
Note that renewing item/s refers to extending the deadline of the borrowed books in a limited period of time. However, it can only be transacted before the due date. Each book can only be renewed twice, one at a time and each time can only be extended by specified period of time e.g. one week, two weeks or one month depending on user category. Then you will be required to renew one more time and for the last time. Also note that the new deadline is calculated from the day the book was renewed.
- What should I do when I find the library records do not match with the actual book?
In such a case, please bring your library card to the circulation desk. Always check you records to see that your details and those of items borrowed tally.
- Why is it that a book is indicated as available in the database, but cannot be traced on the shelves?
Our library is open-shelf and some readers leave books around, which results to this situation. Please ask for clarification at the circulation desk...
- Can a patron with expired library items continue to borrow books?
Accounts of patrons with expired books are automatically locked out by the system. This means that they cannot continue to borrow books until they return the overdue items and further pay the accrued fines.
- How do I recommend to the library to purchase new books and journals?
Once logged into your account, click on purchase suggestions where you can leave your suggestions and comments. The acquisition librarian will act on them.
- How do I know which journals the library has subscribed?
Log In to your account via the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). You will see a list of all the e-resources databases SU Library has subscribed to.
- How comes there are fines in my account?
There are two reasons as to why fines appear in your account:
When Items are overdue, fines starts accruing 5/- per an Item per day.
An Administrative fee reflects in new users' accounts. This is for administrative purposes only. However, it is removed subject to attending the Library training.
- What happens to my account if I happen to lose a Library Item?
Check the Library shelves in case it has been returned then inform the Librarian at the issue desk. If unsuccessful, the Library will assist in making a series of checks to ensure that the book is found. If still not found after one month it will be listed as lost and you will be required to make a replacement for the lost item + a processing fee of KSH. 500.00.
- Is it possible to stop fines from accruing in my account when i lose a library item meanwhile as I look for it?
Yes. But for this to be effected, you need to report immediately the item is lost. Contact the Librarian for more details.
- I returned a Library Information Material some time ago but I have just received an overdue notice. What should I do?
Every item checked out under your account means that you are liable and subsequently responsible for the item/s checked out under your account. Therefore, you are required to take care of them. Make sure you return the same properly. However, check your account regularly and inform the Librarian immediately of any inconsistency.
- I received an alert notice that an item on my account is now overdue and accruing fines. What do I do?
If you still have the item in your possession, kindly return it! You will be charged a fine if you don't.
- How long can I stay with Library Items before paying fines?
If you still have the item/s in your possession, a maximum of one month is allowed then the item is listed as lost. Read more on lost items above. However, if you have returned the item/s, there is no time limit for paying the fines, but please take note that this will deny you some library services and privileges if not fully settled.
- What should I do if the item listed as 'available', cannot be found on the open shelves?
In most case, another user may be consulting it; check the reading tables next to the first shelves of every floor of the library. It may recently have been returned to the Library, and is waiting for re-shelving.
- How do I login to my library account and my E-Learning account as well?
The login details to your library account are different from the E-learning. An example is, if your student number is 012345, then login to the library account using ‘012345’ and your password. For E-learning, use ‘12345’and your password. For Staff use your windows credentials to login to you library account.
- Have a question that's not listed?
Kindly send your questions, comments or suggestions via the E-Mail, Phone, In-Person or Live Chat with us.